Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Homeschooling" has officiallly started


So, as many of you may know, we were really torn about whether or not we were going to have Drew do preschool this year. It was something that we had been praying about and hoping that we would be guided in the right direction. While I really wanted to thoroughly enjoy some one on one time with him, I didn't want to make the decision for selfish reasons. After a series of circumstances, the answer became very clear to us: Drew was not going to be going back to preschool, and we would be working with him at home. When we first made this decision, I was really worried about how Drew might take it. He quickly put my worries at ease, as my sweet boy has affectionately and enthusiastically started telling everyone that he is "homeschooling".

So, every M/W/F Drew and I do "homeschooling" and we are both really enjoying it. To get started, I purchased a wonderful book, Learning at Home, and I have been very pleased with the layout and curriculum that it provides. I have to admit, going into it, I wasn't sure what to expect. It has been so rewarding and fulfilling for both of us. It is time that I truly look forward to on each of these days. I try to do all of the necessary prep work on the weekend before the week gets under way and that seems to be working out pretty well. I know when my little guy gets ready to head off to kindergarten, I will look back at these days and treasure the lessons we learned together.

No comments: