Sunday, September 14, 2008

Honest, the kids were clean at the start of the day!!!

We had a very nice day today, we got to spend some much needed time together as a family. It has been a bit more tricky to get in our family fun time since school has started back up. Today, we spent almost the entire day outdoors, which was awesome for everyone. In the morning, we headed to one of our favorite local spots for a nice breakfast and then headed back to take the dogs for a nice long walk.

Then it was game time, so Lanny watched the Chargers and the kids and I headed outside to clean the car (well I cleaned, they played). It was such a delight to watch the two of them together, it was on from one idea to the next. They started by running through the hose as I was washing down the car. Which, then became a game; I would spray the car and then spray the kids. Their shrieks of excitement could be heard a mile away. Then when I started cleaning the inside of the car, they started collaborating in all kind of different imaginative games. It started with "running is fun", which consisted of laps from our mailbox, down to the neighbors and back (about 25 times). I later learned from "lyssa that this is an activity that they do at school during gym class.
Next, out came the sidewalk chalk and our entire front sidewalk became a mural of all things fun. From here the two of them could be seen sitting on the sidewalk, literally heads together, devising a plan for the next game. We ended the day with "leaf pile mania" and "Drew showing us his new tricks".

Midway through the afternoon, I look over and realized my children were so dirty . . . . and so happy. At this point I thought to myself, "honestly, they were clean when the day started, oh well." Ah, the things memories are made of; dirt, water and fresh air. The possibilities are endless.

No comments: