Today was the start of the new school year at our school. Alyssa is fairly used to the routine and was very excited to meet all of her new classmates. As we headed down the halls of the school to the playground, I am reminded of how much she has grown in the short amount of time she has been here. Coming in as a Kindergartner, not really knowing where to go or what to do, to now skipping down the halls , racing toward the playground to do her morning routine. She was greeted, hugged, photographed and well on her way to her 1st day of 2nd grade.
Then we traveled back to the Kindergarten playground to get Drew settled in his new classroom. He has been very excited about going to school and was just taking everything in! As we got ready to enter his classroom, he wa greeted with a very affectionate and playful "Drew!!!" from his teacher. This instantly brought a huge smile to his face. As he made his way into the classroom, we helped him locate his desk, his cubbie, and his seat on the carpet. He seemed very at ease with the whole process. I have been blessed to have been able to help out a lot at the school and Drew has always been my companion, so I think he feels very comfortable there. At this point I was still holding together pretty well. When Lanny & I got to the car, I looked through the packet of papers given to us from his teacher ( which had this sweet poem, and a very dear letter from his teacher) and the tears came flowing!!
*WARNING* If you have a little one headed to Kindergarten, please grab a tissue (or two) before reading
The First Day
I gave you a little wink and smile
As you came in my room today
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay
You've been with him for five years now
And have been a loving guide.
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave him at my side.
I, too know
How quickly the years do pass.
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheek may flow.
I'll take care of him
And help him learn and grow.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more,
For I will love him and take him in
When you leave him at the door.
-Jamie Solley
I gave you a little wink and smile
As you came in my room today
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay
You've been with him for five years now
And have been a loving guide.
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave him at my side.
I, too know
How quickly the years do pass.
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheek may flow.
I'll take care of him
And help him learn and grow.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more,
For I will love him and take him in
When you leave him at the door.
-Jamie Solley
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!




<
2 comments:
Patti. I have no children of my own,but I found myself becoming teary eyed at this poem, as well. It touches me in a different way because I feel blessed as a teacher that parents entrust me to care for and educate their chidren. It is such a huge and important responsibility and I hope that the parents of my students know how lucky and blessed I feel to be trusted with their children. :) Thanks for sharing
Keri- From a momma who really appreciates all that you wonderful men and women do . . . thank you, thank you, thank you for investing into our future and touching many of these kids in a way that they may never be reached outside of the classroom. I believe that it is a true gift that has been given to those who are awesome and amazing in this profession.
Post a Comment